Monday, January 28, 2008

The "Midian Years"

Acts 7:20-34
20At this time Moses was born, and he was beautiful before God. For three months he was brought up in his father's house; 21and when he was abandoned, Pharaoh's daughter adopted him and brought him up as her own son. 22So Moses was instructed in all the wisdom of the Egyptians and was powerful in his words and deeds.

23 'When he was forty years old, it came into his heart to visit his relatives, the Israelites.24When he saw one of them being wronged, he defended the oppressed man and avenged him by striking down the Egyptian. 25He supposed that his kinsfolk would understand that God through him was rescuing them, but they did not understand. 26The next day he came to some of them as they were quarrelling and tried to reconcile them, saying, "Men, you are brothers; why do you wrong each other?" 27But the man who was wronging his neighbour pushed Moses aside, saying, "Who made you a ruler and a judge over us? 28Do you want to kill me as you killed the Egyptian yesterday?" 29When he heard this, Moses fled and became a resident alien in the land of Midian. There he became the father of two sons.

30 'Now when forty years had passed, an angel appeared to him in the wilderness of Mount Sinai, in the flame of a burning bush. 31When Moses saw it, he was amazed at the sight; and as he approached to look, there came the voice of the Lord: 32"I am the God of your ancestors, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob." Moses began to tremble and did not dare to look. 33Then the Lord said to him, "Take off the sandals from your feet, for the place where you are standing is holy ground. 34I have surely seen the mistreatment of my people who are in Egypt and have heard their groaning, and I have come down to rescue them. Come now, I will send you to Egypt."

How many acts does your life have? I just got back from California...beautiful weather, beautiful people, fine Mexican food. I went to high school and graduate school in southern CA; I have my favorite places and several old friends still live there. It definately occupies a special place in my history, a large piece in the makeup of my personality.

Before California there were many other places. All of them hold pieces to my identity. Interestingly enough, (though many folks from each of these places are still friends and would probably beg to differ) I remember being a different person in each of these places. Certainly my occupation (student, minister, grad student, publisher) played a real role in my differing identities; but, even more so, I think it was my particular place in life that afforded me different perspectives and goals. At some places I wanted to succeed, and some I wanted to party; in some areas I was building relationships, others I was eschewing them.

When I talk with people about the Old Testament, I find that Moses' time in Midian is often forgotten. The scene in Exodus, where Moses flees punishment from Pharaoh by hiding out in Midian, is given something of a different weight when it is revealed, in Acts, that Moses actually spent 40 years in Midian...a huge part of his adult life. Numbers/ages can be somewhat problematic in the Old Testament; but, regardless of the specific number of years, a third of Moses' life was spent in Midian. There he got married, raised two children, and was a responsible member of an important household.

Moses had come to a somewhat powerful realization, as a young adult, that he should help his people (the Hebrews)and turn his back on the powerful Egyptian royal family that had given him sanctuary.. As a part of this new-found idealism, he slew an Egyptian supervisor who was threatening a Hebrew slave. After this "courageous" act, Moses expected to be treated like a hero amongst the Hebrews...instead he was ratted out to the Egyptians. The certainty of his ideology was beaten out of Moses at the very beginning of his adulthood. He was taught that he was no savior...no special person. The people just weren't interested in his high ideas. Moses, rejected as a leader, went to Midian to grow up.

After what many would consider a full adult life, Moses had to be somewhat content; he was respected and economically solid in a new land. He raised two children and still had the love of his wife. From a society standpoint, Moses was doing pretty well; but, we have to wonder if Moses had flashbacks. Did he remember those dreams that he had about being a leader...about making a difference? Did he think "If I had it to do over again, I would have...." Did Moses feel like a disappointment?

Later in his life, Moses would be chosen by God to lead His people out of Egypt. Suffice it to say that Moses was not looking for this "opportunity." After trying to convince God that He was making a mistake, Moses finally whines, "please send someone else."

Whatever regrets Moses had had, whatever lump in his stomach he carried from his rejection earlier in life, all of it had eventually become complacency. Moses had become who he was, and did not see himself becoming any more. Moses was comfortable with his life in Midian.

Eventually Moses left Midian, and his family, and did as the Lord demanded. He became the greatest leader in Jewish history. It was a drastic change from a life that seemed to be fairly settled.

There are times I can't help but feel that I am living in Midian. I have a wonderful, blessed, comfortable life. The passions of my youth have dulled with maturity, and although I still have purpose in my life and work for causes that are greater than myself, I tend to concentrate more on my worldly responsibilities. I'm not sure I would be ready for a grand adventure tomorrow...maybe someone else would be better....someone a little younger.

The challenge for all of us in our "Midian years" is to know that God's purpose for us may not fit into a steady timeline....gaps to us are not necessarily as unreasonable to Him. The opportunity is that we do not have to feel shackled to all those failed opportunities that did not go as we had planned. God provides purpose and mission to each of us, and He provides it in His own good time.

A good meditation as we mow lawns and shovel snow out here in Midian....

5 comments:

Jeremy Raglin said...

Great post. I've been studying Moses again and have seen how symbolic Midian is and how it applies to my own life as well.

Gregg Stutts said...

Great post!

Sam Duck said...

Thank you for this post, I was trying to find the verses that stated how long Moses was in the land of Midian for a study I was doing, you helped tremendously. Thank you for your service and your devotion to Jesus Christ, it is so needful in these times and a day like we find ourselves today. It is such a pleasure when I 'happen' upon others whom are dedicated to study and research, thanks again.

skande1 said...

Ben, I was just finally taking off my suit-pants since church earlier in the day, when I start to realize how long I have been away from my country of birth in Africa. I was supposed to have been here for 5years to bag a B.Sc and a M.B.A. Then as an excuse for another 3years, added Law school for totals of 8years, yet well over 30years, I'm still here. Now a silent voice keep nagging me that, It's time to go back. WHAT??? This voice could not be GOD's. Could it? Every time I see or read a story about Africa's troubles, Like GOD is trying to set me up, The solution will be so vivid in my mind.This has been happening since 2007.Why not GOD just come at me like HE did Moses. So I decided to Google "how long did Moses live in Midian". Not only did you answer the question, but you decided to encourage that nagging silent voice. I know GOD can do it. But through me? I love my life here or is it the big BIMMER,SUV,PORSCHE and the dream house that I love? Let's not talk about the good road and save highways and healthcare and great Friends. And last but not the list, my Midian is the Great U.S.A. What am I smoking that bring up this silent voice, I need to stop smoking it. Wait, I don't smoke,never did.I don't drink, never Learned to.So Why don't the voice just get audible instead of silent in my head. Well Ben pray for me .I need it more than you think. GOD Bless. Your brother in CHRIST. Olu.
I

Kruse said...

Do not hesitate, Olu. When the Lord speaks, go. He does not abandon. He delivers. I too, myself, am preparing for leaving my own 'Midian', and returning to my own birth place, and homeland. We must trust our Lord Jesus Christ. He tells us to store up our treasure, in heaven. That a tree is known by its fruit. That those who will submit, yielding up their own lives, and living instead, for His sake, shall be given all that again, and then also, inherit the kingdom of heaven. Be of good courage. Love those in need, as you would need to be loved: As you love yourself, and as Christ loves you. If you hear the voice of the Lord calling you, go, seek, follow, and you will not regret. Let us not hesitate, but go forward with determined and joyful hearts. Pray for me likewise, as I too, am setting out for my own homeland, just as you feel spiritually compelled to do. The Lord is with His people, as He promised, even to the end of this world. He will go with you.

Kruse